Day 16 – BlackHawks! But no hoist
Corey, Clay & I, the fearless 3, packed ourselves into the car and drove to some military base outside of Santa Fe. We picked-up Yelena and Iris on the way so it was tight in the backseat of the Subie. Yelena, Corey and I were all a little on edge as it also happened to be “Black Monday.” We tried not to let on but we were all watching the clocks because at 10:00, we’d know if we matched.
The iPhone chirped at 9:55 as we were pulling onto base. Hmmmm, is early good or bad? I quickly navigated to my email and the title of the message was “Did I match?” So prophetic. Anxiously, I opened the email and sighed with relief when I read, “Congratulations.” However, the car members could not celebrate until all 3 of us knew. Whewwww….we all 3 matched but still not okay to celebrate til we know about our other class maties.
Everyone was doing a funny “do I ask or don’t I” dance, checking body language and whispering amongst each other. The military base might have thought we were conspiring to hatch some kind of terrorist plan the way we hemmed and hawed. Eventually, it came to light that we all matched and could enjoy playing with BlackHawk copters.
Unfortunately, the live hoists did not happen but we had fun learning about the helicopters and when they are appropriate for us in a rescue sense. The photo opts were also a lot of fun.
Afterward most of us headed to our new favorite spot, 2nd Street Brewery for a little celebration. And what would be a trip to Santa Fe without stopping by Mountain Works. Our troop bought so much stuff that I think I deserved a commission from the store. Even my bestie bought a sweet jacket that matchs her rosy cheeks (facial cheeks.)
Day 17- Flight to PHL
I headed back to Philly for a financial aid meeting and to celebrate Match day while the crew shot guns and learned how to navigate in the woods.
Day 18 - Rest Day in Philly.
My mom flew into town for moral support. It also happened to be St. Patty’s Day so we made plans to eat at Kanella. Okay, Kanella is Greek so no real connection to the Irish but good food all the same. We did don some festive hats that mom brought with her. She also walked into a glass window and hit it really, really hard with her schnaz. OUCH! I was afraid that she’d broken it. Luckily, with a little RICE there was minimal swelling and no bruising. Retrospectively, I think that she took one for the team in order to distract me about thinking about the upcoming big day! Oh and we still managed to eat Capigiro’s.
Day 19 – MATCH day!!!!! Yikes!
Surprisingly, I slept quit well and reported to Connely at 10:55. No this is where I have a point of contention with Jefferson. They only allow spouses to enter the room. Well, that’s just plain ridiculous. Everyone should be allowed a guest, not a spouse. We sit in our assigned section and fill out a bunch of forms which is strategically planned as otherwise they’d never get our responses on those surveys. Everyone get quiet when Dr. Pole goes to the podium at 11:45ish and starts to talk about the Match. Then at 11:55, the new resident takes the stand. We are to get our letters at noon, right?
12:00:00 – TJU prez is giving a speech
12:00:05 – still talking
12:00:55 – he doesn’t show signs of slowing
12:01:30 – a rumble of indignation starts throughout the room as we still don’t have our envelopes
12:02:30 – huh, he’s still jabbering on
12:03:00 – give a pleading look to Dr. Lopez whom has the letters in his hand
12:05:00 – okay, this is the accumulation of many years work and waiting til noon on 3/18 was har enough but now you want to give some fluff speech that we’ve heard before, for the love of GOD
12:06:00 – I think that he may possibly be a sadist
12:07:05 – the slow clap begins as a sign that it’s time to give us the letters and stop talking
12:07:30 – Envelope in hand!!
12:07:35 – suddenly feel paralyzed at thought of opening said envelope
12:07:40 – UWV!
12:07:45 – slight shock and I cry, releasing the pent-up stress of the last few months
12:08:00 – camera crew thrust there gigantic lens in my face and ask me where I matched. I meekly reply “UWV” and he says that I don’t sound happy but I correct him and say that it’s just the culmination of events. Plus I hate being the center of attention, I much prefer to be running the spotlight instead of in it.
Wrap-up the day with some Capigiro’s and phone calls from my new program directors (see this is why I love UWV, I like close-knitness). Then mamma and I head to the airport and go our separate ways.
Day 20 – To 3 Rivers
Running late and still needing to stop by the grocery store before getting to the meeting spot at Indian School. Clay’s in a foul mood and keeps mumbling about disliking food groups, something like “I don’t want to cook with 5 people, grumble, grumble….it’s to hard when you’re backpacking.” I try to point out that we are only car camping and if we do any backpacking then it’ll only be an overnight. No use. Now I’m pissed off. Poor Corey has to endure the stuffy mood as we make our way to meet up with the rest. And it looks like rain which isn’t pleasant.
Eventually we get the caravanning straight and Clay is appeased since he gets to ride shotgun for Doc Macias. It’s a long ride to 3 Rivers. Luckily, we get there and set-up camp right before the storm breaks. Twenty of us huddle under the picnic shelter that is barely big enough for 1 table. We roast some marsh mellows then Linda and Corey break out their guitars. We sing lots of boisterous songs that only get louder as more PBR is consumed. I remember a very nice rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen. Then just as the storm lifts, a beautiful sunset breaks through the clouds. Perfect photo opt for some more jumping pictures. Then a little more song and dance til bedtime.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good story Erin! I bet you fee relieved and are looking forward to GRADUATING!! You M.D.
ReplyDeleteGeez Lou-eez Erin, I think you missed a calling to be a writer. I am so intrigued...I think I must keep reading. This is so fun. So adventurous. So you. I am happy you are getting to do all this.
ReplyDelete